Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I'm moving to York !

I'm moving to York... on the 15th of May ! Scary but exciting! I've been offered a post-doctoral research position in Paul Kaye's laboratory at the University of York, working on Leishmania. Leishmania is a parasite, not too dissimialar to malaria, which causes a tropical disease called Leishmaniasis. The parasite is transmitted by sandfly bites, and is found in countries such as Bangladesh, Brazil, India, Nepal, Afghanistan and Sudan. My new job will be looking at the way in which the immune system responds to infection, focussing on the ways in which the immune system fights disease, but also how some of the immune responses may actually make the disease worse... very similar to what I've been doing in malaria during my PhD. It will involve learning lots of new and interesting things, and I'll get training in new technologies and skills... and, I get to live in England where there are buildings that are more than 200 years old! Yah !


I am excited and nervous all at the same time, but it's a good kind of nervous.. the kind you get on opening night of a play, standing in the wings, waiting to go onstage... It's going to be great, but I am sad to be leaving melbourne and be so far away from family and friends... But I am happy to be going, this is the job I wanted, in the lab I wanted, working on really cool cutting-edge stuff.. So it'll be lots and lots of fun. At the moment I have a three year contract, but there is an option to extend out to about four and a half years if I want to. Wow.. it still just doesn't feel real to me yet !

The good news is that i have a GREAT excuse to have a HUGE PARTY !! Yah ! So set aside Friday the 5th of May, as Krazy Krystal's Last Friday Night In Town. Details will follow.. I'm going to head up to NSW to visit my family on the 10th of May, before heading out of the country ... So i've got about 8 weeks left!

ANyway, with the help of the lovely T, I've created this blog so you can keep up-to-date with all my krazy adventures, both before and after I leave.

Much Love,
K
-xx-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page