Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Age of Terror

This morning as I was cycling to work I saw an abandoned piece of luggage. It was a black suitcase, carry-on sized, with a handle sticking up. In the middle of the cycle path with no apparent owner. And as I rode past it, my vivid imagination flashed an image of it exploding in a burst of reds and yellows and blowing me to smithereens. This is the meaning of the age of terror. A simple suitcase, left on the path whilst someone checks the bus timetable is a threat. I am appalled that my mind leapt to that conclusion, and disturbed that the threat of terrorism is somehow imprinted in my brain.

One of my favourite films in the Tropfest 2006 finalists is called "Last Stop" and deals with a very similar scenario. A young 20-something man of middle eastern appearance leaves a sportsbag on the tram... which is slowly noticed by the passengers one by one. A couple, a father and daughter, two middle aged women, exchange worried glances... the tram goes one stop then two... Watching the thoughts of terrorism tick over in their minds, can you blame them? I thought the same thing this morning...

I think they're winning.

(and in case you're interested "Last Stop" is screening in Fitzroy on Tuesday April 4th)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page