Friday, March 31, 2006

Good bad day

Overall post-PhD life has been amazing. I wake up happy. Almost everyday. I go home happy. Almost every day. My days are no longer full of melodrama and woe. I take two days off every five days...well not always, but it's just such a novel concept that I can if I want to...

Frankly, it borders on banal.

Then along came Friday the 31st of March. The conjunction of three experimental timepoints resulted in eleven hours of hellish torment. Altercations with support staff, running out of crucial reagents, disappearing/re-appearing parasites, teetering on the edge of destruction, racing the clock to make my instrumentation booking, barely time to catch my breath, let alone eat lunch... I was multi-tasking my multi-tasking, on the fly, racing from one task to the next.

AND I LOVED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is what I've been missing !! Danger, excitement, intrigue !!

I have a friend who is a pediatrician, who also does laboratory based research. When I complain that I've had a bad day she puts the question to me - "Did anyone die?" In her definition of a bad day, someone did, and then she has to tell their family. In mine, I just get frustrated feel like i've wasted my time. It puts everything in perspective really.

So, Friday the 31st of March is officially my worst day of 2006 so far. And really, looking back, it wasn't that bad .. and that's something to celebrate ! Cheers !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page