Monday, May 29, 2006

My Weekend - By Dr Krystal

When you are a grown-up and have a real job you are allowed to have two free days for every five days that you work. Unless you are a PhD student. Then you either have no free days, or three-to-four free days depending on your work ethic. But I digress. Some weekends you are allowed to have three free days. In the UK, these are called Bank Holidays. Apparently when the banks go on holidays everyone else does too. This suits me just fine. This weekend was a Bank Holiday weekend. This suits me just fine, (again).

On the weekend I had fun. On friday I went to see X-men 3 with some people from work. As an action film I gave it 6 out of 10. As a general film, I gave it 4. I think I am generous. I tried to forget I was scientist when they discovered an antibody that reverses genetic mutations in an instant. *giggle*

On saturday I acquainted myself with my new city. It is strange to call York a city when it is so small. I would call it a town. But history says it is a city. And it has a lot of history. So I won't argue. I walked around and got nice and lost on purpose so i could find my way back again. This was not difficult as York is not a big city. I would call it a town, (again). I felt like I was in a story book, identifying everything as i went: "There is the bookshop" "There is the teashop" "Here is a hardware store" "Here is a florist" "This is a red car" etc.. "This is a 14th Century house" "This is an ancient medieval cathedral" "This is a viking excavation site" Ok, so this game is a bit fun when played in York! I bought some boring things that i needed (coat hangers and dish racks) and some things that I wanted (memory card reader and a smoothie).

And then I bought some shoes. I have been in York for less than two weeks without buying shoes, and I only bought five pairs with me on the plane and that includes slippers and runners and the rest of my shoes haven't been shipped from home yet and really truly i needed these ones because i haven't got a pair of practical sensible black shoes for work and these ones are very practical and very sensible and very black and only slightly fun as they are mary-janes and i like them.

*deep breath in*

On sunday I went to a birthday party of a work colleague at her new house in Southbank, a suburb of York. Her house is really nice, and very cute. Most houses in England are very cute. I saw streets and streets with rows and rows of attached houses, and their chimney pots all lined up and make a really cute skyline. At the party I drank some Australian wine I have never heard of. I realised that Australia exports a lot of wine that Australians have never heard of. And when I tasted it, I realised why Australia exports a lot of wine from Australia that Australians have never heard of. Kind of like Fosters. This is my "How to tell if someone is a real Australian" test. Offer them a Fosters. If they say no, they are a true Australian. There are a lot of pubs in England with Fosters on tap, and I say no every time. I am a true Australian.

Today is Bank Holiday Monday. I am at work. I am working on a fellowship application. Ok, I am writing emails and posting on my blog and reading articles online. I don't have internet access from home at the moment. But perhaps I will soon. And perhaps I will be working on a fellowship application soon. I hope.

And so I had a good weekend.

The end.

1 Comments:

At 12:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page