Thursday, June 01, 2006

Ducks are a dabbling..

The University of York campus is just so pretty! It isn't an old historic Cambridge/Oxford type of university, as it was only established in the 1960's, but the campus was designed as a huge parkland which reflects the natural beauty of the area. And most importantly.. it has duckponds!

The whole campus is designed around a series of lakes, which reminds me quite a lot of the University of Wollongong where I did my undergraduate degree. There are lots of ducks and geese and swans.. and as it is spring, there are also lots of ducklings, goslings and cygnets. Of course, this means there is also lots of little duckling, gosling and cygnet presents which get deposited on the pavement, but they are quite a bright green and thus easily avoided.

There are lots of gardens and trees here.. and it's just SO green. And there are daisies growing in the lawns.. my mum would just love it.. it's SO English.


It's a gorgeous spring day today.. the mercury climbed above 20 degrees and campus came to life. Sun bathers sprung from the lawns, I even saw men in overalls fishing in the university lake. You have to have a permit to fish, and apparently it is a really popular spot. Maybe poor starving undergraduates will take up fishing to add protein to their two-minute noodle diets..


Though someone in the department did say to me "enjoy the brief hint of summer today because that's your lot." I didn't realise that York was on sunshine rations...

Goodness, I am talking about the weather. I've obviously integrated further than I expected.

1 Comments:

At 11:56 pm, Blogger The Retro Seamstress said...

That is so beautiful! Our little ponds here pale in comparison to those lakes framed by draping greenery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page