Friday, November 03, 2006

The heat (er) is on!

The seasons revolve and I have admitted defeat and bowed to the comforting temptation that is my heater. The good news is that the fact it's getting cold is intimately related to the fact that christmas is coming! The Northern hemisphere has a much better contingency plan for the dark and dreary months. Whilst at home in Australia June /July/August seems to drag out forever, here the grey is broken up by many festivities. I tried explaining the concept of "Christmas in July" to some friends here in York, but it was just met with bewilderment and confusion. I had to Google the topic to demonstrate that I was not making it up.. this from the Girl who cried Neighbours Duty.

I'm not sure if i will be homesick at christmas. For starters, it won't feel like christmas as all the usual seasonal cues will be missing - no cherries or seafood platters for me! Secondly, i'm shipping myself a christmas present over in the form of maia, so I won't be alone. However it is my first christmas away from home, and in fact, the first time one of us crazy Evans' Girls has missed a christmas, so maybe I won't be so inert.

Recently I've discovered organic santa claus! Who comes and delivers a sack of mystery organic fruit and vegetables every week to my door. I race home on Tuesdays to see what new and exciting things farmaround has delivered. Tonight I sat down to a ratatouille made with all organic vegetables and organic rice and everything! The thing is that I like and appreicate organic food for what it is, rather than what it's not. What I mean is that my motivation for buying organic is not that I am anti-chemical, or anti-GM. However I am into food being as good as it can be, care and attention to quality, supporting local business, and not giving into mass production and consumer greed. I would rather pay a little more for my food and know that thought and consideration has been put into how it was grown for the good of the people as well as the earth, rather than save a few pence and pay a multi-national corporation to rip off producers and workers and the environment not care about what I the consumer think. Really, it's all about me and needing to feel the love. And the vegies come with a cute cover letter about local ducks and sheep and recipes for the produce of the week. The coolest thing is that all kinds of weird and wonderful fruits and vegetables can arrive at random at any given moment.. so I am learning what to do with kale and parsnips and pomegranate. The weird thing about England is the absence of pumpkin. It has appeared recently, but only as a novelty item associated with Halloween. You can get butternut pumpkin quite readily, but it's called butternut squash. And what we call squash, those little cute yellow and green vegetables, are not known in this land. I will have to make pumpkin scones.. if anyone has a good recipe, let me know!

The time for sleep is upon me.. the beaujolais tells me so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page