Friday, August 04, 2006

Life according to Depeche Mode

Why is it that we often think of ourselves as powerless? Unable to effect change in our lives, at the mercy of circumstance, incapable of doing anything to alter our situation, resigned to the status quo? How many times a day do we shrug and say "oh well, there's nothing I can do about it". I guess this attitude can be helpful at times, because there is no point getting upset about things that are beyond our control. But really, what is beyond your control? There isn't much that you are more in control of than your own life. It's a complete lie that you cannot do whatever you want to do. Sure, there are limits. I mean I would like to levitate, but I haven't quite managed it yet. But we all have choices and options, and I think that I have underestimated exactly how much control I do have over my own situation.

In the immortal words of Martin L Gore "Don't just stand there and shout it, do something about it"

So I'm going to Thailand to meet up with Maia, who happens to be in the general south-east asia vicinity for a conference. It's a bit spontaneous, and a bit crazy, but hey, there's a reason I have the nickname I do :) In exactly one month from today I will be arriving in Bangkok for a week of holidaying in the sun, and I am so excited*

* biggest understatement of 2006 to date

2 Comments:

At 4:17 am, Blogger Cunning Plans Dept. said...

Most of us are trained from a young age to not rock the boat. Everything is couched in terms of duty and stability and preparedness but it totally forgets to include the why. Why are we alive? Not something we had any say in. Why do we keep on living? Because we have hopes, dreams and aspirations which are fun, exciting, satisfying and fulfilling.
Go for it DrK!

hugs,
Blayney

 
At 5:17 am, Blogger Escheresque said...

Woohoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page