Sunday, June 04, 2006

It's a small world after all

Australians are everywhere. Considering we only have a population of just over 20 million, we seem to have infiltrated much of the homeland. A recent statistic suggests that 5% of the Australian population is overseas at any one time and about 25% of those are in the UK. But I was still surprised yesterday when I saw someone wearing a Triple J t-shirt in the streets of York. More surprising still was when I saw a guy wearing a 3RRR t-shirt this morning. He was walking ahead of me, and when he stopped to go into a house, i couldn't help but initiate the following exchange:

Dr.K: Nice Shirt
T-shirt guy: Do you know the station?
Dr.K: I'm from Melbourne
T-shirt guy: Oh really where abouts?
Dr.K: Fitzroy
T-shirt guy: Oh, I own a house in Mt.Waverley
Dr.K: Oh, cool.
T-shirt guy: Actually, I used to work at the station
Dr.K:Oh, me too! Well, i was a presenter on Einstein-a-go-go, the science show
T-shirt guy: Really, so how are the new studios?
Dr.K: Yeah, they're really great.
T-shirt guy: I was just talking to Fi this week about them.
etc....etc...etc...

And then we all start singing the old familiar Disney tune...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page