Monday, July 17, 2006

You're like a rollercoaster, toast ya!

When I left my previous lab, I organised a winery tour as a lab-leaving do and I thought I was pretty cool. However I knew I was beaten when the lab manager leaving my current lab organised a trip to Alton Towers, which is a theme park here in the UK. Think Australia's Wonderland with scarier rides and a pretty English parkland setting. How cool is that!

I LOVE ROLLERCOASTERS !


My favourite was "Air". You get strapped into the rollercoaster ride harness and then before it leaves, the ride tilts your seat 90 degrees and so you fly around the ride in a vertical position! So cool! When it did loop-the-loops I felt like I was in one the roulettes! (whose UK equivalent are the red arrows) . I dared everyone in our group to go "No hands!" for the whole ride. It was just so amazing, and such a smooth ride. Not like the bone-rattling skull-shaking rides on the Demon that I remember.

And the other REALLY scary one was "Oblivion". It takes you up really really high and then drops you vertically, facing straight down into a dark black pit below ground level. And of course, before the cart drops, the ride holds you at the apex, just long enough for you to take a deep breath and stare into the aforementioned and below picutred "Oblivion". Definitely the adrenaline kick of the day for me!
I've also been trying to work out what the appeal of rollercoasters is. In modern society we often do not experience true "life or death" scenarios, and perhaps these rides are a way of taking a violent passion surrogate, to inject some fear and euphoria into our lives. To take a deep breath and be brave and conquer our fears and. I guess extreme sports appeal in a similar fashion. I don't care why really.. cause i think they're awesome!

1 Comments:

At 12:05 pm, Blogger The Retro Seamstress said...

That is so cool. We are going there when I come to York.

BTW: Your postcard arrived! Guild hall looks way better that the Crossroads one, but hey, they had artisans and whatnot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page