Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Internet killed the radiostar

It is becoming more and more clear to me that I am behind the times when it comes to all things cool on the internet. This is possibly a good sign, as it implies that I don't spend my entire life surfing around online, but also reveals my lack of exposure to the zietgeist.

Specifically, I have just recently discovered Pandora, an interactive online radio station that tailors a play-list to suit your tastes in music. The good things about it are that it's FREE and that it is actually quite smart. You enter a combination of your favourite bands and/or songs and then it predicts, based on the common styles and elements of your favourites what kind of music you might like to listen to. So it plays tracks for you that it chooses, and you can rate them as you go along. Pandora then learns what you like and don't like, and refines your play-list as you listen.

For example, I set up an "alternative electro rock" station (my name for it, not Pandora's) and entered bands like Depeche Mode, Joy Division, and New Order.. it then starts playing me Happy Mondays and the Cure. Also, it has a vast selection of music, some of which i have never heard, so I'm getting to hear bands that are reminicent of those I like, but who are new to me. It is surprising just how many bands sound like Depeche Mode. This is a good thing.

Of course, it's not perfect, I entered "Radiohead" as a band I liked, and Pandora started playing me "Placebo" and "Ben Folds Five", but I then told it that I didn't want to hear those bands and it changed it's tune.

So now I've got four radio stations set up: Alternative electro rock, Grrl Radio, Chicks that Rock, and Block Rockin Beats. I'm thinking of adding Retero Power, Stage Show Sing-a-long and Music to Bathe To, in the future.

*giggle*

Cause really, again.. It's all about me!!

1 Comments:

At 4:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Krystal,

I just read a great book that has nothing really to do with this post but... it is related to online environment
Methinks you would like.

Victor Pelevin
The Helmet of Horror: The Myth of Theseus and the Minotaur
ISBN: 192114503X
http://www.textpublishing.com.au/

XSteph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page