Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The dark of the matinee

I was very relieved to discover that there is an arthouse cinema in York. This is very important for my state of health and wellbeing.. a life without film is a life half lived. The cinema does screen Hollywood blockbusters, but also shows independent and foreign films (including Australian ones!). They've started up a monthly retero Sunday matinee event called "The Breakfast Club" after the sensational 80's film of the same name. This month they screened "The Lost Boys" and it was an event I couldn't miss. So I hauled out an appropriately black outfit, smudged on some eyeliner and tagged along.

I had forgotten what an ace film this is.. though it is hard to be objective, when many of the reasons I love this film are for it's sentimental value. It contains 80's fashion at it's worst, think big big hair, acid wash jeans, huge shoulder pads, flamboyant coloured shirts on men matched with grey ties. I would be interested to hear a review from someone seeing the film for the first time, if such a person exists, though I guess anyone under the age of 23 would probably fit the bill. It's such a classic, one of my friends has a video tape of the film that he taped off the TV with the words "Lost boys" lovingly inscribed in barely legible handwriting on the label, that I am sure he still has and will probably never throw away. A DVD copy, whilst useful, just doesn't hold the same appeal...

It was fun to see all the classic 80's teenage stars, the Two Coreys are adorable as the Frog brothers - Edgar and Alan, and I loved Bill (as in Bill and Ted) as a vampire with a seriously evil blonde mullet, and who can go past Keifer Sutherland with all that eyeliner.. drool!

Favourite Quotes:

The movie tagline: Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire.

Sam: You're a vampire Michael! Oh, you wait 'til mom finds out buddy.

Sam: Don't kill me, Mike. I'm basically a good kid.

Alan Frog: Kill your brother, you'll feel better.

All time favourite cheesy line
Corey Feldman as Edgar Frog: We're fighters for truth, justice, and the American way.

Ahhhh... i remember all those late night girly slumber parties sighing over these dark lost ones.. and that was just last year *giggle*

4 Comments:

At 7:56 am, Blogger Ken said...

Haha! Classic!

"My blood is in your veins!"
"So... is.... MINE!"

 
At 7:59 pm, Blogger Dr Krystal said...

You know, it's not hard to tell when it's ken and when it's sus...

:)

 
At 4:02 am, Blogger Ken said...

We haven't yet got to the stage where we're both just part of a single hive mind, but we're working on it. :)

 
At 5:46 am, Blogger deense said...

Oh goodness. Totally one of my favourite movies of all time. Had such a serious crush on Keifer back then, all broody and vampire like. I think the soundtrack had high rotation on my playlist for many a year too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

yorkshire blogs home page